Tuesday, April 3, 2007

VERSIONING UNGROUNDS THE GROUND

"evolutionary techniques in Architecture as an organised collection of specific detailed actions capable of evolving parametrically to produce specific effects or behaviors" - "Design Intelligence: Thinking after the end of Metaphysics

Basically, my opinion of Versioning is the researching and collecting of data pertaining to a design of some sort, whether it is for cars, streets, buildings, hair dryers, etc., and designing it with updated technology with a motive to adhere it to its particular context. I really liked the example given of modern day designing cars. In a way, I feel as though I am like the car described: I am here in school studying architecture for lets say, two years. I have researched, studied and formed my own opinions of over 100 architects and their ideas. At the drawing table I take an idea of an architectural language, of lets say, Terragni, and break it apart. I take certain elements of his language, and configure it to particular variables such as program, context, audience, etc. With versioning, I am able to use the recent and significant shift of technology to my advantange and come up with a design which introduces modified ideas of previous precedents.

After reading these four assignments, I have come to the conclusion that Versioning is what this school needs (undergrad). I feel as if it is right behind the border of throwing itself into the chaotic yet beneficial digital world and is stuck in the cycle of collecting the data of previous ideas (step one of versioning) . It seems as though step two is this secret digital space of architecture which is so looked down upon by most people here at this school.

My favorite quote of the articles comes from the "Versioning: evolving architects dissolving identites "nothing is as persiistant as change" article:

"VERSIONING UNGROUNDS THE GROUND. a continuous movement of life which possesses its own internal dynamic without fixed end, final essense or final form."
What is the next movement of architecture? Are we in the middle of it? I read somewhere that the future of architecture will not evolve in a "NEW STYLE" yet a fresh cycle of Versioning. New ideas of collecting old data, transforming/modifying it to fit in today's modern world. Although buildings and the land which they are built on are static (usually) their ideas are forever evolving, helped by the digital world.

1 comment:

Mercedes Afshar said...

What you said about future styles is very interesting...it made me think...
if versioning = evolution
and evolution = human history
and human history has shaped/shapes architecture...then can we say that all styles in architecture = versioning?